3.06.2015

Cooking for the Whole Family: One Meal, Two Ways

When possible, I try to have Eleanor eat what Aaron and I are eating for dinner.  There is an art to preparing one meal for everyone, an art that I am still learning (and may never truly master) but I have come across a couple of meals that work really well for us.  And I figured that when you find a meal that is fast, easy, healthy and tasty (even to kids) then it must be shared with the world.  Cause cooking daily for your family is hard enough without people to share recipes with.

Before I share the meal, I must praise my friend Jessica who is the original source of this goodness (the adult version of the recipe).  She came up with this sweet potato/spinach/egg concoction on her own and then made it for us when she visited San Jose almost a year ago.  It has since become my go to meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I wasn't able to actually see Jess prepare the meal back then so this is just my best attempt at recreating her delicious meal.  So here it is, one of our meals with an easy tweak for the kiddos too!

The Adult-Friendly Version:
 To prepare: Peel and chop the the sweet potatoes.  Toss sweet potatoes in a bowl with olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt and minced garlic (I just eye ball it but you just want to have just enough spices/oil to lightly coat each cube of sweet potato).  Bake in the oven at 400 for 25 minutes (or until soft).  Top with chopped spinach and an over-easy egg (or poached egg if you are more talented than me!).  Drizzle with a touch of melted butter.

It's so good!  I love the taste of the runny yoke with the sweet potatoes.

The Kid-Friendly Version:
To prepare: Take the baked sweet potato you already cooked for the adult version and cut up them up into smaller pieces.  Scramble two eggs with finely chopped spinach added in.  Throw it all on their high chair tray and smile with joy as your child gobbles it down.  Does your baby love sweet potatoes? I can always depend on them for Eleanor.

Hope this helps in the meal planning department cause goodness knows I need all the help I can get!

Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment